Search This Blog

Pages

Friday 12 February 2010

Last Woman Standing?




I had the misfortune of coming across this programme last night when I could not get to sleep.

Five female athletes take on the women of the Kamaiura tribe in the Amazonian basin of Brazil. 
'Our girls' demonstrated their complete lack of self-awareness and cultural sensitivity throughout the show, with comments like 'there's loads of 'em!  I've never seem this many naked people in my life!' to their decision to remain in their bikini tops throughout the show, despite their bid to take on the Kamairua women on their own terms.  As well as the classic framing of the 'troubled' Geordie lass who only found discipline and direction through fitness, the 'tough black London lady' who made it out of a directionless life through sport, what most irritated me was the fact that each 'girl' was a cookie-cutter version of the other.  The only non-white 'girl' still adhered to the norms our media so loves: Long straight hair, light skin.......

I am probably being influenced by the excellent writing of Susan Bordo, whose book 'Unbearable Weight: Feminism, Western Culture, and The Body' I am reading at present.  So i'll let you make your own mind up, but this show has left me wondering what epoch we are actually living in?

Quote of the show:

The male domination in this part of the world may be hard for our girls to put up with, but that's all about to change.

No comments: